Monday, September 1, 2014

I remember what I was doing 4 years ago today...

Do you ever have dates that stick out so distinctly in your mind?  September 1 is one of those dates for me.   It was September 1, 2010.   I have always been a positive person and a "good" Christian person.  However, Sept 1 was going to be the date that would forever change the rest of my life.   It was a day that would draw me closer to God, my friends, and family.   It would also be that day that would bring Jeremy, Mark, and myself closer together with a bond that would hold like cement.   I'm sorry if I am rambling, but my mind if running a thousand miles a minute, thinking about the last 4 years.   Wow!  So much has change...my family has changed, my relationship with God has changed (So Thankful for this Change!).   Those of you that know me, know that I try to be a positive and encouraging person.  Well on September 1, 2010, I was no different.   Mark (my husband) had a pre-op appointment for a biopsy.  He had a spot that the doctor said " I'm sure this is probably nothing more than a freckle, but I want to biopsy it to be sure. ".   So being my encouraging self, I was the cheerleader that was telling Mark that it was going to be nothing and we would just get the biopsy and figure out from there what the doctor wanted to do with this little spot.    I took off work that afternoon for the appointment.  I sat in the waiting room talking and laughing with my husband (he was always entertaining).   We came home and  cooked dinner and ate as a family with Jeremy.   This was no big deal...just a precaution.   I had no worries.

The next day (9/2/10), we got up and went to UAB Highlands for his simple outpatient surgery.  My parents were out of town,  Jeremy was as at school,  Jenny was at work,  Sally was at home working in Florida.   All of these people were stressed out about the fact that I was in the waiting room alone.   I wasn't worried.  I had this, I wasn't alone.   There were a lot of other people in the waiting room.   I sat and chatted with others sitting around me.   No worries...I had this!   The biopsy took a little longer thank expected, but that was ok...I'm a pretty patient person too.   Once the doctor called me back for the report about how the surgery went.   He said that he was able to biopsy the spot.  He had found a complication, and had a lot of trouble feeding the catheter into his bladder because of the narrowing.  They were going to send us home with a Urinary catheter and stitches and we would return in one week to have the catheter removed.   I was then sent back out to the waiting room to wait for Mark to make it recovery and they would call me back.   I was still chatting with the people around me, but my mind was kind of swirling.    How was Mark going to handle having this catheter for a week.  I figured that it wouldn't go well.   Little did I know that within a year later that catheter would become his permanent friend!   Yes...that is what Mark called his catheter during his cancer fight...his friend.  He would say "I've got my friend, let's go!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment