Thursday, August 10, 2017

The story of the RINGS!!

       I'm going to start back with this blog going back to August 29, 2015 and the proposal.   I've already told you about the proposal at Cheaha Mountain State Park with the "Fabulous" view.   I mentioned that the proposal included a ring that had been special ordered, so it wouldn't be in for a couple of weeks.  So, he ordered me another ring that got lost in the mail.   Maybe I should have taken the fact that he proposed without a ring as a sign...OH WELL, I didn't.   

      As we were leaving Cheaha State Park, we stopped at the gift shop to look around and get some water for the road.   While in the gift shop, Greg spots a mood ring.  As he held it for me to see, we both laughed and bought the ring for me to wear.  RING #1.   Now, maybe I should mention that the ring didn't fit, but we thought it would be fun to wear for a little bit.  I'm pretty sure that it is lost now, but it did serve its purpose at the time. 

     On the way down the mountain, we were talking about how crazy this whole whirlwind romance had been.   I started laughing and mentioned to Greg that we should go and buy a ring pop.  You know, the suckers that are shaped like big diamond rings.   So, yep....as we passed through Oxford, we stopped at Target on a search for ring pops.  They don't sell just one ring pop.  NO, you have to buy a package of ring pops.  So, we had a selection of flavors and colors.   WOW!!   RING#2.

     We finished the drive back to my house,and decided to go and tell my parents that we were engaged.  I just knew that they were going to tell us that we were crazy.  So, Greg placed the ring pop on my finger and over we went.    As we sat on the couch and talked to my parents, I mentioned that we have something to tell them.    Once we told them that we were going to get married, they weren't surprised at all.  They had been waiting to hear this.  They love Greg like he was their own son!   When I showed my mom my ring (pop), she started laughing.  We all had a good giggle over the ring pop and the mood ring episodes.  However, you can't wear a ring pop for very long without attracting ants, and the mood ring was too big. 

     Over the next several days, every time I would swing my hand, the mood ring would fall off.   So, we decided that this wasn't a solutions.     So, as we are cooking dinner one night, Greg fashioned me a very lovely bread tie ring. RING#3. Now, it takes a special person to wear a bread tie ring.   I managed to wear it for about 3 days before it broke in half. 
   Luckily, by the time the wire tie ring broke, my horseshoe nail ring had arrived. RING#4.  The story of the horseshoe nail ring is as follows:   While crossing the plains, there were very little luxuries along the way.  There’s a story of a young couple who wanted to get married but her father hope to dissuade the young man by insisting he first provide her with a diamond ring.  While thinking of ways to get the ring to marry the girl he stumbled upon a horseshoe nail with a head shaped like a diamond.  He took it to the blacksmith and had him bend it into a ring.  The father was very impressed with the young man’s resolve and they were soon married.  I'm not sure how Greg knew about Horseshoe Rings, but it was a nice thought.



     I wore the horseshoe nail ring until my "official" engagement ring was ready to be picked up from the Jewelry store.   I went with Greg to pick up my ring, and make sure it fit...which it did not.   He guessed at my size, but it was wrong.  Nothing that a ring guard wouldn't fix.  Greg worked with the Jeweler and designed my ring especially for me.  It is BEAUTIFUL and I love it (and him) so much!!! 
Greg told me what the ring represents.  He said that he thought about this while designing the ring.    Greg wanted to get me something blue because I have blue eyes.   So, he settled on a square blue Sapphire.   The one blue sapphire represent God (3 stones also represent the trinity).  The two diamonds on the side represent the two of us.   They only thing between us is God.   He said that he wanted a simple band to represent that all we need was Christ and each other.   I've never had someone put so much thought into a ring for me before.  Every time I see this ring,  it reminds me of how much Greg loves me and how thankful I am to have him. 

      So, now you know the story of our engagement and the 5 rings.   If you've known me for any time and you know about the loss in my life, then you'll understand that I never thought I'd marry again.  I never thought that I'd find true love again.  BUT, thanks to God and his blessings on my life, he brought me Greg.  The story is fun, but the love is real.   Thanks for reading.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment